On Sat, Jan 26, 2013 at 12:16 PM, Edmund Storms <stor...@ix.netcom.com>wrote:

No Steven, what you say is not the issue. The issue is that money has been
> lent to the US in various forms and by various people and they want their
> money back eventually. Meanwhile they want to be paid interest. The US is
> rapidly approaching a level of debt such that if the interest rates rose to
> normal levels, we could not pay the interest without shutting down
> significant parts of the government. The US is presently printing dollars
> to cover this expense.  As a result, the debt is growing because this money
> is borrowed from the Federal Reserve, which is a private bank owned by
> individuals who want to be paid. At some point in the near future, the debt
> will be so large, it simply can not be paid. At that point, the US is in
> default, and the financial system of the world collapses. This means
> starvation and civil strife.  The problem is serous and can not be solved
> without great pain, which means further loss of jobs. The fools in Congress
> over the last 20 years have created a no win situation that very few people
> understand.

I should clarify an earlier remark I made about people who propose deep
budget cuts not wanting to think through the implications.  This is
obviously not the case for everyone making such a proposal, as Ed's
thoughtful analysis here shows.  What becomes clear is that there is a
complex situation that must be carefully worked through.

I see no need to slash government entitlements that are basically
self-funding and which, if anything, help to bring down costs. But I also
appreciate the reasoning behind calls to limit the amount of US government
debt that has been issued.  As with any complex problem, there are no
simple solutions.

Eric