Nice analysis, Craig. However, I think the wrong issues are being discussed. I think we can agree and a wide range of date show that the average temperature of the earth is going up, the ocean levels are rising, and the pH the ocean is shifting in a more acid direction. All of these effects are having bad consequences regardless of the cause. Personally, I believe that even if the CO2 is being produced by man and this is the major cause of warming, we are too late do do anything about this. The reason is both political and based on the very slow response of the earth system to any change man might make.

The question is, "How must each country respond to what is happening". The consequences will be slow in coming so that time is available to respond. Rather than fight over the cause, I suggest we should work on adjusting to the obvious future. For example, discourage building in regions that will flood first. Design the infrastructure so that it is either above the early flood or anticipate in its design the use of dikes and barriers. Personally, if I were young, I would not buy a house near the coast or where severe weather was known to occur or would make the electric system unusable for extended times. We know what is coming so let's work to reduce the consequences.

Ed