I should add that pure iron itself can be very conductive - but even modest
amounts of carbon make it resistive. Iron wire is usually 4% carbon or up.

This is an important point - if anyone has the numbers handy - please share.

From: Jones Beene

But Ed - platinum wire would not be resistive enough, would it?

As you say - it might be wise to use very thin platinum once; and thereby to
compare to see if another kind of higher resistance wire (far cheaper) such
as iron is also inert.

From: Edmund Storms

Dave,

I'm glad you are keeping an eye on this measurement. I agree, the small
amount of apparent excess power revealed so far is not important because the
uncertainty in the behavior of the calorimeter is not known.  Anyone doing
calorimetry must first  determine the uncertainty in the measurement using a
known inert material.  A calibration with the potentially active material in
place is not useful because the calibration heats the unknown, which might
initiate excess energy.

But, as Jones notes, what can we accept as inert wire?  I think Pt is a good
choice. This metal does not react with H2 and has been shown to be inert in
past studies.  Once the calorimeter is tested with Pt, other cheaper
materials can be tested to see if they are inert.  If found inert, these
metals can then be used in future tests to avoid the high cost of Pt.

This study is so important that it MUST be done correctly and without
compromise. This means spending time using an inert material  to reveal the
strange behaviors that all calorimeters have.  Until this has been done, no
one has any reason to believe the results.

Ed