Good question, Jim. The reason is that people jump into what looks like an easy measurement to quickly see excess energy, which is the brass ring. They want to win the game without taking the time to master the skill. I did this 20 years ago as well. Fortunately, the excess I detected then was large, which easily exceeded my error. Over the years, trial and error have taught me lessons that I had not bother to learn at first. Calorimetry is part science and part art. It is unforgiving to mistake. Large amounts of heat are easy to measure but the small amounts being claimed are hard to detect, especially when power has to be applied to start the process. The reputation of LENR adds to the difficulty because the results will not be accepted unless they meet very high standards. I admire the people who are starting down this path, but I'm saddened by the time wasted in the process. But, I guess that what makes science at this level fun. We all hope to discover something new without too much investment. I know the joy of the process thanks to 23 years of effort looking at LENR while tying to do the same thing after 40 years of doing conventional science.

Ed