<mix...@bigpond.com> wrote:

However there is also the possibility that a parked vehicle that already had
> fully charged batteries could return some power if the voltage dropped
> below a
> certain level.

I see. They have arrangements like that for people with rooftop PV
electricity. I think the equipment is expensive. It would not be practical
until millions of plug-in cars are in use.

> >I can't imagine what kind of abuse there could be.
>
> Suppose that someone who doesn't like you decides to tell the power company
> computer to tell your car to stop charging, so that come morning, when you
> are
> about to drive away, you discover that you have a flat battery.

In my wildest imagination I cannot imagine the power company doing that. I
am pretty sure you could sue them up the wazzoo. I am also pretty sure that
a person driving a fully electric car has to pay close attention to the
battery level, so you would notice, and this nefarious plan would fail.

With a plug-in hybrid this would not work. You would spend a dollar extra
on gasoline.

> Suppose that this happens regularly to people that someone in government
> considers to be "trouble makers".

The power company is not the government. And the government does not do
things like that. It does not want to draw attention to itself.

>Anyway, if they want to
> >give me a reduced rate in return for this, I would be pleased.
>
> That's a decision that each car owner should be able to make for
> themselves.

That's how it works. You have to sign up for these things. They do not give
you the price break without a contract. Georgia Power doesn't, anyway.