Let me clarify my pithy and brief comment. Yes the scientific method works fine when applied to studies that have no importance to anyone other than the person doing the study. However, once the subject becomes important to a larger group, such as global warming or cold fusion, to give recent examples, the method is distorted and does not work. Having done studies that used the scientific method with good effect and in cold fusion where the method has broken down, I'm naturally more sensitive to the implications of the failure rather than bering proud of the success. Yes, we can all be proud that the scientific method works, but its failures cause the damage that needs to be addressed.

Ed