I cannot vouch for the tally of positive replications counted by the people
at the Chinese Institute of High Energy Physics. It may be that there are
fewer than 14,720 positive runs reported in the literature. But here is the
salient point about all those replications. This simple fact is sometimes
overlooked in these debates:

If even *one* of these observations of excess heat or tritium is correct,
that proves cold fusion is a real nuclear effect.

Even if we postulate that every other observation is a mistake, that would
not call in to question the veracity of that single certain result. To say
that a mistake invalidates another correct claim is illogical. It would be
like saying that dozens of people tried to fly before December 1903, but
they all failed, therefore on average people could not fly, so the Wrights
did not fly. There is no causality that would allow a mistake by Prof. A in
one lab to affect the outcome or reliability of a test in another lab done
by Prof. B. That is why it is highly illogical -- crazy really -- to say
that McKubre, Storms, or Fleischmann lack credibility because of Rossi's
antics.

If only one observation is real, then the effect is real, and there can be
no doubt it is tremendously important to physics and probably technology as
well.

As a practical matter the experimental method works. There is no
possibility that every single researcher has made a mistake in every single
high signal-to-noise ratio result. That would not happen in the life of the
universe. As I've often said, if that could happen we would still be living
in caves. Technology would not exist, never mind science.

Individual scientists are often wrong, and individual instruments can fail.
But in the aggregate they are reliable. The reliability of things like
thermocouples, computers, tritium detectors and the other instruments used
in these studies, in the hands of skilled experts, is high.