I think that there is plenty enough benefit that Rossi has a good paying job.
He does not need to make millions out of it, but it is plenty enough that he
receives enough capital for adequate living standards.

There are plenty other similar hoaxes such as BLP, Steorn and Inteligentry who
are running extended hoaxes. Although Inteligentry's tale is probably finished
due to FBI raid.

It must be understood that these "inventions" are the most important inventions
in the history of industrial age. Therefore they are just too valuable to be
kept hidden for decades. Rossi has been around already 6 years and he is doing
still rather well financially.

As successful and practical cold fusion would be pushing World civilization
immediately into level 1.0 at kardashev scale, Rossi has delayed this
transformation already six years due to his greed. Of course Rossi is not the
greediest person who have ever lived, but he is just doing something that is
profitable enough for extended periods of time. Soon Rossi is ready to retire
due to age.

If Rossi would go public with his device, Oil price would go down 75 % in just
few months, because the average production cost of oil is $25 per barrel. This
would be the first global effect and they are certainly not small, if e-cat's
impact is measured in dollars.

―Jouni