Earlier I was curious about electrons and how they might interact with photons.
 The final conclusion was that they can not originate photons without outside
help and that they cannot totally absorb them.  The Compton effect allows them
to interact, but there must always be a photon leaving the site.

I suspect that the same applies to a bare proton and an incoming gamma.  Does
anyone know of a condition where this is not true?

Can a system consisting of entangled protons absorb gammas?  The answer should
be yes.

Dave