OK Robin,  I was making an attempt to consider the nucleus of an atom as a
group of protons with the associated neutrons that allow for the absorption and
emission of gammas.  Perhaps I should have left the entangled part out of the
discussion.

So, my ultimate desire is to understand exactly how excess energy is stored
within a nucleus.   A single proton does not have the ability to perform that
function under normal conditions.   When fusion occurs, gammas are emitted by
some mechanism from the nuclear energy storage process.  Classical ideas would
suggest that the energy might be stored in a process somewhat like that of a
pair of balls connected by a spring which in this case would simulate the
strong force.

Energy could also be stored in a rotational motion.  Either of these techniques
should allow storage for a finite time before the emission of that excess
energy.  Also, it is not obvious how this energy should be quantized at such a
high level.

I ask these somewhat silly sounding questions because it frequently occurs that
a proposed reaction is questioned because of a concern for the conservation of
energy and momentum during the fusion process.  I seek a way to buy time during
the event which might be used to slowly absorb the high level of energy that is
ultimately released by fusion.

For instance, a two body collision can always be shown to conserve momentum and
energy as long as no energy is released during the collision and they remain
attached.  Then, the trick is to figure out how to extract that excess energy
without significantly upsetting the center of mass of the initial pair.  If the
energy can be taken over a long enough period of time, then interesting things
happen.

Another question is why can't a proton have additional mass that exists in the
form of kinetic energy of its constituent quarks?  I guess this is equivalent
of asking whether or not a proton can have a temperature. :-)

Dave