Hi,
[snip]

>Earlier I was curious about electrons and how they might interact with
>photons.  The final conclusion was that they can not originate photons without
>outside help and that they cannot totally absorb them.  The Compton effect
>allows them to interact, but there must always be a photon leaving the site.
>
>I suspect that the same applies to a bare proton and an incoming gamma.  Does
>anyone know of a condition where this is not true?
>
>Can a system consisting of entangled protons absorb gammas?  The answer should
>be yes.
>
>Dave

There is no such thing as entanglement in the sense that it is commonly applied.
I.e. there is nothing connecting "entangled" particles, and no information is
passed between them, let alone "instantaneously". Hence the answer to your
question is "no". However protons in a force field (and effectively all of them
are) should be able to, provided that said field allows for exchange of
momentum/angular momentum with whatever is on the other end of the field lines.
(Entangled particle pairs have perfect correlation "at birth").
Regards,

Robin van Spaandonk