From: Duncan Cumming <spacedr...@cumming.info>
To: vortex-l <vortex-l@eskimo.com>
Sent: Sun, May 26, 2013 10:01 pm
Subject: Re: [Vo]:Re: [Vo]:Re: [Vo]:Re: [Vo]:Torbjörn Hartman describes power
measurments

Almost. The power being fed to the      heater exceeds that measured at the
wall, because the sensor used      (an AC current clamp) cannot sense the
direct current being drawn      from the wall socket.

      Some people find the difference between current and voltage
confusing. What I am saying here is that if you connect a resistor      in
series with a diode to a wall socket, then the CURRENT drawn is      direct
even though the VOLTAGE at the socket is alternating.      (Rossi does not seem
to understand this concept judging by his      message that got posted today).
So unless you use a DC rated      current meter (such as a shunt) you will not
sense all of the      current, and hence power, drawn from the wall socket.

      The electrical power meter in your house certainloy IS rated for      DC,
so you will certainly be BILLED for the power even though you      didn't
measure it yourself!

      V = IR
      Power = Voltage * Current * Power Factor

      Duncan