On Mon, May 27, 2013 at 5:22 PM, Harry Veeder <hveeder...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, May 27, 2013 at 5:44 PM, Joshua Cude <joshua.c...@gmail.com>wrote:
>

>> But we have no idea what the emissivity of the paint used in the December
>> test was, nor whether it was wavelength dependent.  There may be a paint
>> for which an assumption of emissivity of 1 greatly overestimates the power.
>> A few measurements could have excluded this possibility.
>>

> This book
>
> _Absorption and Scattering of Light by Small Particles_
>
> says for a body to have an emissivity > 1 it can't be much bigger than the
> wavelength it radiates.

I'm not suggesting emissivity greater than 1. I'm suggesting we don't know
how the correction for a limited wavelength range goes for low emissivity
(this could be answered with a bit of effort, or by an expert in the area),
and more importantly, we don't know if the surface has a wavelength
dependent emissivity, in which case, an assumption of unity could err on
either side of the true value of the power depending on the particular
dependence.