That confirms it indeed, I wasn't aware Ni powder already sinters at around
300C. Good to know.
I wonder whether silica would do the job to prevent sintering of Ni (powder
or layered on top)
Recently I read Celani's patent application WO2011016014, where nickel
powder is oxidized and then a silica layer is applied and baked together.
Celani claims fast en large absorbtion of Hydrogen by this process.

Link to the patent application:
http://patentscope.wipo.int/search/en/detailPdf.jsf?ia=IB2010053585&docIdPdf=id00000012991132&name=(WO2011016014)THIN%20NANO%20STRUCTURED%20LAYERS%20WITH%20HIGH%20CATALYTIC%20ACTIVITY%20ON%20NICKEL%20OR%20NICKEL%20ALLOY%20SURFACES%20AND%20PROCESS%20FOR%20THEIR%20PREPARATION&woNum=WO2011016014&prevRecNum=1&nextRecNum=3&recNum=1&queryString=IN%3A%28celani+francesco%29+&office=&sortOption=Pub+Date+Desc&prevFilter=&maxRec=3#