yes, be very careful.  I (and at least two others I know have had health issues
resulting from nano nickel (pulmonary hypertension in my case, numbness, BP
problems...).  The micron and > are not too bad but the nano is HAZARDOUS.

Use a glove box, hood or something similar.  I started with a sandblasting box
(used for painting and sanding but extra epoxy sealed and vented outside) and I
now use a hood outside.   The fine stuff gets through the smallest
holes/pores,...  The hood box I "inherited" from Les Case was covered with fine
Ni powder at the top.  It takes a lot to remove once it is on a surface.
(clean then paint over).  You want to keep pressures and flows away from you.

Yes if you buy Ni powders (instead of making them in situ) they come oxidized.
You can check by the resistance.  Lightly heating with a stream of hydrogen (or
hydrogen + N2 or Ar or He) will remove it.  I would avoid using CO.  It works
but is hazardous (look up nickel carbonyl).
You also can do it with a stream of methane  (but not the S containing kind
from city lines - it poisons the surface).

I support those wishing to do experiments. However, I would recommend you do
the Ni in Carbon instead.  Less power density but much healthier until you get
your technique down.  The pure Ni nano stuff always sintered on me and can auto
ignite in air after H loading.
Other routes are via the ZrO2 (yttrium doped YSZ proton conductive) or the
silica gel (like Jim Patterson would use).  Those minimize the sintering
problems.

Be careful and safe.