Hi,
[snip]

>Is it the momentum that is shared with a spectator nucleus or the excess
>energy that wants to cause the He4 to break up?

Both. The momentum is shared equally between both nuclei, i.e. one is the
opposite of the other, so that the sum is zero, in the CM frame.
The energy is shared in inverse proportion to the masses of the nuclei.
I.e. If 108Pd is the spectator nucleus, then it gets 4/(4+108) of the energy,
and the 4He gets 108/(4+108) of the energy. I.e. the lighter nucleus gets the
lion's share.

>We have been seeking a process that is able to extract the relatively large
>energy of the excited helium nucleus in a slower than normal manner.  I
>suppose that I refer to normal as being what is seen in high energy physics as
>compared to LENR.

Good luck! ;)

>It seems likely that nearby Coulomb coupled nuclei or other particles would be
>able to suck up some of the spare energy thereby preventing the destruction of
>the He4.

The 4He is in no danger of being destroyed. It's a very tough little nut! ;)
[snip]
Regards,

Robin van Spaandonk