On Sun, Jun 23, 2013 at 6:59 AM, David Roberson <dlrober...@aol.com> wrote:

The other option that looks promising is for an entangled effect involving
> many protons.  These couplings are instantaneous according to what I have
> seen, in which case the exact distance to a brother is not quite as
> important.

Now that I've argued myself into a faster-than-light electrostatic
influence of nearby nuclei (I'm hoping Robin will show me my error if I'm
wrong), it seems like there are at least two questions to be addressed in
connection with distributing the electrostatic
impulse across multiple nuclei, in contrast to requiring that it be limited
to a single nucleus that is very close at hand:

   1. Can a quantum of mass-energy be dumped instantaneously into multiple
   recipients, or must it be restricted to a single recipient (e.g., a single
   proton in a nearby nucleus)?
   2. Does the influence of nearby nuclei reach far enough to influence a
   reaction underway, or does some kind of inverse square law effectively
   limit the influence of the electrostatic force to a single nucleus that is
   very close by?

Being new to nuclear physics, I can ask these questions without
feeling embarrassed or self-conscious.  Perhaps you are arguing for an
electrostatic analog of the Mossbauer affect?

Eric