In my electrolysis research, I found that the wire leads for my control
runs made a significant difference.  Obviously, thinner wire connecting to
the joule heater resulted in less power being dissipated in the joule
heater and more being dissipated in the wire leads.  I had initially
thought the wire was thick enough, but I wasn't seeing as much heating as I
expected.  I switched to thicker wire, and then I saw better heating.

That brings me to Jet Energy's (Mitchell Swartz) claims.  His active
material has a much higher resistance than his control resistance.  Could
the apparent excess heating in this device be related to the same phenomena
(i.e., power dissipation in electrical leads vs. where the measurements are
taking place)?