From: blaze

 

> Do you have a 3d printer?  I do.  

 

No, I do not. Not yet. Eventually, I'm sure I will own a model. Perhaps more
than one model, depending on what kinds of materials I need to utilize. I'll
take my time shopping around. I'm in no hurry.

 

What model do you own? I'm curious, how is the surface detail of the items
you have created? Is the surface layering effect noticeable? I remember some
prototyping work I ordered up about 8 years ago from an on-line company. The
layering effect derived from the polymers they used was quite noticeable.
You had to pay extra to have the surface smoothed out. I wasn't willing to
pay the extra dollars.

 

> It's not that revolutionary (though fun making toys for the kids

> and printing out minecraft levels)

 

Not that revolutionary???? Surely you're joking. Making -harmless- toys and
other trinkets are often the first items made. Eventually, the rest of the
industry will catch on. At present the vast majority of our society hasn't
even comprehended the ramifications of what they will soon be able to create
at home instead of having to purchase at brick-and-mortar establishments.
Many retails establishments will have to adapt... or die. Many will have to
get into the customization business in order to survive.

 

> 3d printers have helped revolutionize the prototyping industry. 

> They will also be potentially huge for things like the biotech industry

> for printing organs and micron sized medical devices.

 

First, you say 3D printing is not that revolutionary. Then you seem to
contradict your own words.

 

> Increasing automation, however, will likely change things for everyone
else, 

> rather than '3D printing'.    

 

Personally, I think automation and 3D printing go hand in hand. I don't
think one can really separate the two technologies from each other.

 

> This can be increasingly done via CNC routers and other manufacturing
tools

> driven by CAD files rather than complex / custom assembly lines.

 

I suspect we will still need highly skilled workers to operate CNC
machinery. We will still need to educate many on how to use 3D modeling
software. This is where society needs to pay special attention to, and make
sure we train enough of the population to become employed in such fields. I
also suspect that many will simply not have the talent nor the motivation
learn to use such software appropriately. They will purchases such services
from those who do know how to use the software and equipment. According to
the latest analysis, it could still be cheaper than purchasing a box of
massed produced shower curtains at Wall-Mart.

 

> If you want to call a factory a 3D printer, than .. yeah, OK, I guess 3D
printers

>  will change everything.   They've been doing that for awhile though...

 

I think 3D prototyping for the masses has probably been available for over
10 years through on-line ordering. I took advantage of one of these
companies about 8 years ago. Back then one could say you had to order out.
But soon you won't have to order out anymore. This will certainly increase
turnaround time, and time lost in fixing mistakes.

 

My two cents

 

Regards,

Steven Vincent Johnson

svjart.OrionWorks.com

www.zazzle.com/orionworks

tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/newvortex/

 

 

Reply via email to