On Thu, Aug 1, 2013 at 6:54 PM, OrionWorks - Steven Vincent Johnson <
orionwo...@charter.net> wrote:

 Yo! Vorts, ****

> ** **
>
> More 3D printing news. This from CNN. Indications strongly suggest that 3D
> printing has the potential of being just as disruptive to modern societies
> as what CF/LENR promises to do.

Further to this thread -- see a printer that could potentially build a
house:

http://www.industrytap.com/the-printer-that-can-print-a-house-in-20-hours/9056

I recently saw a 3D printer for the first time at a "maker fair" that
happened to be held across the street from where I live.  At the fair I saw
not one but four or five 3D printers, each owned by different groups.  I
learned that the printers use a variety of materials.  Most of the ones I
saw were using "resin," which hardens into plastic.  The resolution on
these particular printers was on the order of 0.2 millimeters, and some of
the items had a very fine level of detail.  Some of the things they had
printed up were quite interesting, including a planetary gear system [1].
 As planetary gear systems go, it was not that sophisticated looking, but I
was told that it worked after printing without further treatment.  The
assembly felt quite sturdy and did not seem like it would easily fall apart.

The printers themselves were a little clunky.  They took up the space of a
microwave, and beneath a clear plastic case there was a robot arm with a
tube attached that zoomed this way and that, depositing a small layer on
the thing being printed as it went.  They reminded me of a science fair
project.

Eric

[1] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZghwSBiM0sU