Jed,
I think prediction markets actually CAN be useful to "confirm or deny
assertions about scientific or engineering", and my article about "How I
Made Money in Cold Fusion" is precisely aimed at that.  If I had been given
the 2nd contract aimed at the replication of Dr. Mossier-Boss's triple
tracks in CR-39, the price would not have been 3:1 or 4:1 against it, but
probably more like 1:1 or even 1:2 FOR it.

Because when it comes to money, people act differently than what they say.
Just look at what Blaze has done in the last few weeks on this forum
alone.  He's gone from 10:1 against Rossi to 1:1 and 1:2 against Rossi.
When it comes to putting your money down where your mouth is, people really
tighten up.

And for the general public, it would be a mystery why Intrade's odds for
the CR-39 thing were so oblique, and it would be evidence in and of itself
that LENR is quite real.

The cool thing about Intrade was that it was a chance for me to put my
money where my mouth was, and for those hyperskeptics to put theirs down as
well (taking my money).  Their mouth nowhere near matched their money
placement.

Basically, if we would have had a few rounds of LENR contracts on Intrade,
the buzz would get out that LENR is real.  Period.  That you lose money
betting against it.  That is a powerful statement.