On Mon, Aug 5, 2013 at 6:12 PM, Jed Rothwell <jedrothw...@gmail.com> wrote:
. .

Sorry, but I still say this is a mechanism to measure people's opinions, or
their feelings.
***No, it is NOT.  When I put up the contract for whether or not Dr.
Arata's experiment would be replicated in a peer reviewed journal, it had
zero to do with people's opinions or feelings.  It either was gonna happen
or it wasn't.  Lotsa people had some opinions & feelings but the actual
TRADING of the contract reflected a level of understanding of LENR that
went way beyond the idiotic words of skeptopaths.

 Opinions and feelings have no bearing on experimental reality.
***Of course.  But if someone is stupid enough to put their money down on
that kind of factual outcome, I'll take it all day long & twice on
Sundays.  Eventually the price itself is a tremendous indicator.  For
instance, let's say you were CERTAIN that a black, inexperienced
most-liberal-member-of-the-senate could NEVER be president, you'd put up as
much money as you could against such a contract.  And if there were
thousands of Intraders like you, the price & volume would reflect that.
However, once he's elected, you lose your money.   The FINAL price is what
has "bearing" on "experimental reality", i.e., election results.

So, then how much would your contract sell for when he runs for
RE-election?  You'd know that your own opinions were based upon emotion
rather than the facts on the ground, and the price would reflect that.
Interestingly enough, the price for Obama's contract DID reflect that
reality until the exit poll returns started coming in.

 That reality exists independently of the human mind. The only way to
measure it is with instruments.
***So a person who has tremendous confidence in Dr. Mossier-Boss and
knowledge of how many journals would publish her peer-reviewed results
would have a better perception of such a "reality" compared to someone who
simply thinks LENR is voodoo science.  Such trading contracts are very
valuable as an indicator of what's going on at the knowledge-trading level.

You are measuring public opinion vis a vis cold fusion.
***NO, you are not.   If that were the case, then my contract would talk
about public opinion results rather than peer reviewed journal publications
and replication of a scientific finding.

This is an interesting thing to measure. It is worthwhile.*
***Glad we agree.  But it looks like you're sorta goin' round in circles.