> To give another dramatic example, suppose at 1:00 pm on the afternoon of
> December 17, 1903, you were take a poll about whether man can fly.
***A better contract would be that an independent scientific journal (to
wit, eventually it was a beekeeping journal) would publish an article about
the Wright brothers claiming they had achieved heavier-than-air controlled
flight before 1907.   Such a contract would have paid out in the Wright
brothers' favor, even though Scientific American wasn't interested in
publishing it.