I wrote:

> As my late mother said, people responding to polls tend to say whatever
> pops into their heads at that moment. (She was an expert on public opinion
> research.)

Seriously, she did say that, and she was an expert. See:

http://www.amstat.org/sections/srms/Proceedings/papers/1983_126.pdf

http://www.jstor.org/discover/10.2307/2747532?uid=3739896&uid=2&uid=4&uid=3739256&sid=21102520962221

She was also known for publishing papers that dismembered certain
pop-science-based theories about motivation that were highly popular with
famous Madison Avenue advertising firms in the 1950s. Kind of the opposite
of "Mad Men." She left some hilarious correspondence about that.

Anyway, she said to be careful when you make sweeping statements about
people's beliefs.