On Sat, Aug 10, 2013 at 9:37 AM, Teslaalset <robbiehobbiesh...@gmail.com>wrote:

IInteresting analysis of LENR experiments by Norman D. Cook and Valerio
> Dallacasa, presented at ICCF 18. Shifts in isotopic percentages in LENR
> 'fuels'.
> It has some interesting hooks with Rossi's claim on Ni62 being essencial
> and Defkalion menitioning that Ni61 does not participate in Ni-H LENR
> reactions.

Their slides are interesting.  I do not know what to make of their FCC
nuclear model.  It does not seem to be required for what they are
describing -- it is sort of an appendage that they have taken the
opportunity to insert into their analysis.  What was interesting was that
they were able to model the surface isotope transitions, and, by adjusting
a parameter, get good agreement with the SIMS results from Mizuno and Rossi
and with anecdote from Defkalion (perhaps they were using real spectra from
Defkalion for their analysis as well).  What stands out in their modeling
is that they were able to get the shifts without neutron capture (they used
proton capture).

Also, they looked at the question of "unreactive" 61Ni.  Apparently one
basis for concluding that 61Ni is unreactive in the Ni/H system is the fact
that its abundance in the SIMS spectra has not been seen to change in those
instances that were analyzed.  If this is the basis for the conclusion, I
think it could be mistaken.  It is also possible that 61Ni is in the middle
of a series, and that depletion happens at one end of the series and
enrichment at the other, and 61Ni is just a momentary stopping point along
the way.  In that case, there would be lots of activity (i.e., 61Ni is
"reactive"), but neither enrichment or depletion at that point.

I used to be focused on proton capture as the source of isotope shifts, and
on the possibility of the source of energy being the same as the source of
isotope shifts -- that the energy was coming from the Ni+X or Pd+X
reactions.  Now I suspect that it is not proton capture (or neutron
capture), but fast 3He and 4He capture.  Note that this would also explain
the apparent 2d enrichment noticed by some -- in that case it's just a fast
4He being absorbed by the nearby lattice nucleus.  If a reaction runs long
enough, you would expect the 3He or 4He capture to pile on -- to see
increases of 2*3He or 3*3He, for example, in the Ni/H system.

No need to mention for the longtimers that this is all just speculation.

Eric