On Fri, Aug 16, 2013 at 10:03 AM, Jed Rothwell <jedrothw...@gmail.com> wrote:

"The reviews were by scientists who were outraged -- outraged! --
because Watson told the truth about how science is done. As I said, he
also described himself as a lazy young man more into goofing off and
chasing women than working."

Kary Mullis, nobel laureate who improved the polymerase chain reaction
to amplify DNA samples consumed mass quantites of drugs and alcohol.
>From his wikipedia article:

"Use of LSD

Mullis details his experiences synthesizing and testing various
psychedelic amphetamines and a difficult trip on DET in his
autobiography. In a Q&A interview published in the September, 1994,
issue of California Monthly, Mullis said, "Back in the 1960s and early
'70s I took plenty of LSD. A lot of people were doing that in Berkeley
back then. And I found it to be a mind-opening experience. It was
certainly much more important than any courses I ever took." During a
symposium held for centenarian Albert Hofmann, "Hofmann revealed that
he was told by Nobel-prize-winning chemist Kary Mullis that LSD had
helped him develop the polymerase chain reaction that helps amplify
specific DNA sequences." Replying to his own postulate during an
interview for BBC's Psychedelic Science documentary, "What if I had
not taken LSD ever; would I have still invented PCR?" He replied, "I
don't know. I doubt it. I seriously doubt it."

Extraterrestrial life

Mullis writes of having once spoken to a glowing green raccoon. Mullis
arrived at his cabin in the woods of northern California around
midnight one night in 1985, and, having turned on the lights and left
sacks of groceries on the floor, set off for the outhouse with a
flashlight. On the way, he saw something glowing under a fir tree.
Shining the flashlight on this glow, it seemed to be a raccoon with
little black eyes. The raccoon spoke, saying, "Good evening, doctor,"
and he replied with a "hello". Mullis later speculated that the
raccoon "was some sort of holographic projection and… that
multidimensional physics on a macroscopic scale may be responsible".
Mullis denies LSD having anything at all to do with this."