The other thing that bothers me is their claim that the device converts
energy into mass. "A kind of nuclear refrigerator" they say. That would be
an endothermic reaction. As far as I know, no one has observed significant
endothermic reactions except for chemical reactions in the initial loading
of palladium.

At MIT and later at the NHE they shifted curves and moved data points
around to produce what looked like endothermic reactions, but that was
fake. The NHE did not want to admit that Melvin Miles got significant
excess heat, so they shifted his curve down and down until the total
equaled zero.