I remember when I had to battle to get the reference manual, the spec
sheet, the economic numbers...
anyway to understand those documents you need good old learning.
In a way not good old school learning, but better older mentorship learning.

Before the school, there was mentorship and reading. internet is a library,
that with a good mentor you can use.
I can use Internet library on my main competence, because I have been
prepared, and I can even learn new domain with MOOC, or e-learning...

however I remind also when I was a kid, reading alone a book on
electricity, encyclopedia on electronics, vacuum tubes and transistors, I
was not able to apply the basic math of electronics... yet with my fingers,
transistors, led, NE555,capacitor and resistors, I could make funny
things...
however I was not mastering U=RI out of what my finger were understanding...
I imagine that with a mentor, I would have understood much farther...

I believe that School, in the classroom passive way, is a parenthesis in
history.
MOOC can replace the passive part.
however we need the "magic" of real professors, the "mentor" relation...
We also need the magic of "clubs" (electronic, sport,chess,theater,books
and why not math )...
the best school I know is kindergarten, and with adults it can work too...
not far from learning at work. ;-)

so I see a possible future with :

Activity school where you discover problems and mentors.
MOOC, e-learning, that you use to learn the basics of a domain...
Mentor focused clubs or special courses, often supported by a project, when
you work on challenging subject, either very complex, or where you are weak
and missed key points... chess, electronics, theater, football, or non
euclidean geometry.
The result is that people will have very different competences and
history...

at 15 some kids will have played best pieces of Shakespeare, others build a
football robot, others passed El capitan, others designed a trading robot
on bitcoins, and some managed a lemonade business...

not only question of taste, but also of opportunities, availability,
randomness...