The way I look this is a little different.  I was the first house in my
community of 50k to have PV.  When I go to sell my house (which I plan to
do next year), if the solar power is the feature that attracts the customer
that buys my house, then it was paid back in that one instant.

It has been in service for 5 years now.  Before the PV was installed, my
winter electric bills were about $110/month (now 0).  My summer bills were
about $220-$275 and now peak at about $70 for a maximum of 2 months.

There is another unaccounted for effect with having PV installed.  As you
become partly energy independent, you begin doing things to economize in
your energy usage you may have previously just ignored.  You like seeing
your energy usage and bill go down - it is a feedback effect compelling you
to be ever more green.  Soon you are the area energy champion!

Besides that, I always wanted to.  I designed the system myself, but I am
an EE.