Bob Higgins <rj.bob.higg...@gmail.com> wrote:

To get kWH/day from peak kW in PV, you multiply by the average full power
> equivalent hours per day. In FL, this is 4 hours (mostly due to clouds).
>  In NM the number is 5.  In the continental US as a whole, the number is
> probably about 3.5-4.

3.5 hours out of 24 is 14.5%. 4 hours is 16.6%. So the capacity factor is
about 15%. The 940 MW sold in the July - September quarter produces roughly
141 MW when it is first installed. It degrades over time after that.

141 MW is roughly 1/7 of an average nuclear power reactor. In other words,
solar cell production is about equivalent to 1 nuke every two years. At
that rate it will take 200 years to equal our nuclear power capacity.

Total U.S. generator capacity is roughly 1,000 GW. So it would take 1,700
years to replace that with solar at the present rate of installation.