If I were and experimentalist to save some money on precious material, I
would try to duplicate this by using Nickel and hydrofluoric acid
(dielectric constant - 100),

One electrode would be highly pitted as in Celani's wire. All the copper
must be complexly removed however. The other would be polished mirror
smooth.

I would heat the system a bit and check for current.