I wrote:

> It makes you realize why electricity is so expensive, and how much better
> small cold fusion generators would be. Imagine the cost of bringing 3,000
> utility crews from places like Ohio and Texas.

Years ago when I made this point, someone responded by saying:

"What if the generators are unreliable? What if one of them breaks in a
storm? Or suppose one breaks at the house where someone who needs
electricity constantly for a medical device?"

That is worth thinking about. Suppose that a cold fusion generator MTBF and
hours of outage per year are higher than today's power company electricity.
Oddly enough, it would still be more reliable in some important ways,
because of mitigating factors:

Cold fusion generators will not fail en mass from a single common cause,
the way power company electricity fails in an ice storm. The generators
will fail individually for the same sort of reasons automobiles or
refrigerators fail: old equipment, manufacturing defects, maintenance
errors. The number of cold fusion generators that fail on any given day
will be constant. So the number of repair crews needed to keep the
generators running will not spike. Inventory will be predictable and there
will be no sudden demand for replacement units.

Suppose that in severely inclement weather, your cold fusion generator
fails, even though the weather has nothing to do with it. A repair crew
cannot reach you. You are in the dark. However, your neighbors will be
unaffected. You can always go next door to stay warm. You might borrow
electricity with a 50-foot extension cord. (I did this for a few days when
the wires were pulled out of our house during a storm.) It will be easier
to cope with.

I expect that many larger appliances will be self powered with their own
cold fusion power supplies, especially furnaces, air conditioners and hot
water heaters. So even if your power goes off, the furnace will stay on,
and you can still take a hot bath. This is like having a gas stove during a
power failure. You can still cook. At my house the the gas water heater is
not connected to electricity, and you can light the gas stove with a match,
so we could cook and bathe normally during a power failure. We do not have
all our eggs in one basket.

Finally, for people who have a critical, life-sustaining need for
electricity, it will be possible to buy two or more generators, with
automatic redundancy built in. This will be similar to what some people do
today, which is to buy a natural gas fired emergency generator that cuts
into service immediately when the power fails, and which is tied into your
house main panel. If both generators fail for some reason (say, with a
common cause such as a short circuit) you could still go next door where
they have electricity. Or you might use the 50-foot extension cord.

Equipment reliability is complicated. It cannot always be measured easily
with metrics such as MTBF.