On Sun, Feb 16, 2014 at 12:50 PM, <mix...@bigpond.com> wrote:

I'm not sure that I even understand what it meant by the phrase.

If you were a little confused by it, I was very much so.  It would be nice
if someone who knows a little about the research and the claim could
clarify what it's getting at and what it does and doesn't apply to.

However If
> looking for a means of building an FTL receiver, I would suggest something
> that
> relies upon tunneling, e.g. a Josephson junction, provided that some
> aspect of
> the chance of tunneling is influenced by the electric potential.

This reminds me of a different but related result concerning prisms.  When
two prisms are adjacent, no refraction takes place as light passes through
the common surface between them.  When they are separated by a distance,
refraction does occur, but not all of the time.  In some cases photons will
tunnel through a barrier between the two prisms without refraction.  If I
have understood what I have read, this tunneling is thought to occur
instantaneously, in contrast to the situation where the photon exits one
prism, travels through the air and enters the other prism.  The effect is
called the Hartman effect [1].

As I read more about FTL communication, I now understand that in the
context of special relativity it is interpreted to imply the existence of
time travel, since in some reference frame the effect (the receiving of the
information) will occur prior to the cause (the sending of the information).

Eric

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hartman_effect