it depende on what usage you make of a currency, and of the coins.

bit coins are COINS... like coins and banknotes, the mass is not so
important if there are contacts that extend the monerary mass.
Today most of gold is paper-gold, contracts.

bitcoins, is not better than platinum, gold, or sardin cans (in jail), or
banknotes .
it is harder to counterfeight, and easier to transmit than gold or
banknotes, easier to store than sardins, and harder to mine than sardins.

people overestimate the importance of the centralbank in monetarymass, and
even more the importance of M1 (coins/notes quantity).

today even M3 is meaningless as monetary mass... M4+ seems the key factor
today.