On 03/01/2014 05:26 PM, Jed Rothwell wrote:
Craig <cchayniepub...@gmail.com <mailto:cchayniepub...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    Borders are opening up as people are now able to trade with each
    other without the expensive exchange rate tax, which every
    merchant in every third-world country experiences when he tries to
    compete with countries which do not want his government's currency.

Surely we can find a solution to that problem that does not involve a ponzi-scheme currency that fluctuates in value by hundreds of dollars a day, and that is wide open to the largest theft in the history of banking.

There's no incentive to try. We don't have competition in the currency business. The legal tender laws, and expensive banking regulations, effectively prevent that; and any time someone has tried to come up with something innovative and interesting, outside the banking industry, it's been closed down.

I followed e-gold closely, from 1999 until 2006 when their servers were seized. In 1999 - 2000, I bought and sold e-gold for about a year as an independent agent. Doug Jackson had the vision to use gold as a form of currency, which could be sent through the internet with immediate settlement, and which would serve as the foundation for other forms of money. He started the company in 1996, and grew it to over $200 million in gold bullion by the time they shut it down. In fact, e-gold was superior to Bitcoin for these reasons:

1) It offered immediate settlement. Bitcoin settlement occurs when a transaction is added to the block chain, which takes about 10 minutes on average, but can take up to an hour or more; and if the transaction fee is too low, it can take up to 48 hours.

2) e-Gold offered potential justice to those defrauded, and a complete trail for law enforcement when they had a court order. Law enforcement frequently used e-gold to find criminals. While e-gold, itself, could be used without an identifying account, all exchange services required identification for those sending money into the e-gold system, and those taking money out of the e-gold system. The fact that all transactions were centralized made law enforcement much easier than it had been previously when most of the types of scams that were being used with e-gold, were replacing scams which were being used by Western Union payments and other types of payments like this, which were, effectively, completely anonymous. (and still are).

3) e-Gold offered price stability, because gold has a far, far larger market cap than Bitcoin.

4) e-Gold accepted technical responsibility for the operation of the e-gold system; whereas with Bitcoin, there is nothing that can be done when you create a transaction with a valid, but unowned output, as MtGox discovered in Oct, 2011. With e-gold, there was always someone to call when something went wrong.

People have told me that Bitcoin is kharma for e-gold, because they could close down e-gold, but they can't close Bitcoin. [But I have no doubt that they can push Bitcoin completely underground in many places.]

    No longer need people be burdened by expensive transaction fees
    which can cost upwards of $50, and a day's time, to send money to
    some other part of the world.

I often buy things in Japan with a credit card, such as books from Amazon.com Japan. It takes no time at all. It is no different from buying things from a U.S. vendor. The bank charges a little extra for the currency conversion. You can send money to people in Japan with PayPal, I believe.

But Paypal is not money, because it is reversible. Businesses will never negotiate for Paypal. Nothing with a low markup will ever be sold for Paypal. People have used e-gold to buy houses, cars, boats, real estate, and airplanes; but Paypal can never be used for anything like this, because Paypal dollars can be taken away, even months after they've been placed in your account.

To be a true international currency, you've got to start with something for a monetary base. It has to be: 1) tangible; 2) fungible; 3) auditable; 4) portable; 5) scarce; 6) stable [which Bitcoin hasn't yet achieve]; 7) recognizable; 8) reliable; and 9) acceptable. Paypal dollars fail several of these because of this fatal flaw: they are built upon credit.

But to really get the vision as to what people are trying to do with such a currency like Bitcoin, you have to think of it as cash, and you have to treat it like cash. With a solid foundation, from a non-reversible currency, you can then build an infrastructure on top of it that has all the bells, whistles, and security that you want to see. So while Bitcoin is not as good as e-gold once was, the infrastructure which can be built on top of it, can be everything that e-gold once was, and very much more; because Bitcoin can satisfy all the requirements of a monetary base upon which entire capital markets, credit markets, clearing houses, payment processors, and everything else can be built. This is the new era that these disorganized libertarian coders are thrusting in front of our eyes.

Can the US government do this? People like to think that we can do anything through government once we put our minds to the task, but without competition, then the visionaries which do see the future, are never allowed to put it into practice. If the banking industry wakes up and says, you know, we need an international, non reversible currency, to be used to expand trade and commerce, then at this point, I would only conclude they got the idea from Satoshi Nakamoto; but Bitcoin will beat them to it.

Craig