Kevin, you might consider a different explanation besides censorship or trolls.
The internet gives anyone including the insane a chance to say anything they
want. A significant fraction of the population is, in fact and by measurement,
insane. These people are ignored unless they harm someone.  In days past, they
would make an insane comment in the bar or at the barbershop and be laughed
into silence. Or if someone took pity, they would be listened to and then
ignored. This is hard to do on the internet because the insane tend to support
the insane.

By insane, I mean people whose brains to not allow them to understand important
aspects of this reality. Instead, they create a reality of their own. They
believe this substitute reality with great conviction. They are sincere and
apply logic and fact to support the substitute reality. The danger comes when
normal people can not identify this substitute reality as being the workings of
a flawed mind. This reality is not just a different variation of reality that
we all debate because reality is not always clear.

The insane make no effort to understand our reality.  They are so sure their
reality is correct, they will attack any challenge with emotional intensity.
This response is a basic characteristic of the insane. A person needs to
respond to an insane person in a different way than with a normal person. Most
people have no way to do this; becoming confused by the insane.  A discussion
about the best response is too complicated to provide here. I'm only trying to
suggest that these people need to be looked at through a different lens.

Ed Storms