  From: Jones Beene
  To: vortex-l@eskimo.com
  Sent: Sunday, March 23, 2014 8:51 AM
  Subject: RE: [Vo]:Hurricane balls, RAR and high-Q factor

  From: Bob Cook

  I think I have a good science fair project for a grandson. A little high tech
monitoring equipment is all that is necessary.  Maybe NI would be interested in
loaning the instruments.  A transient change in the temperature of the ball and
the surface upon which they spin would be nice to know to understand the issue
of friction changes.   An evacuated chamber would be warranted to eliminate the
issue with loss of energy via stirring the air around the rotating balls.

  Yes, in a simple evacuated bell jar, it would be interesting to see if a pair
of magnetized balls could be started and kept in rotation via an external laser
beam, shining through the bell jar somewhat like a Crookes radiometer (which
only works with a partial vacuum and not in the way commonly perceived.)

  However, in place of one side having a more absorbent coating, as in Crookes,
we would be probably going for asymmetry in coherent photons causing tiny phase
changes or spin coupling on one side or the other of the rotational vector.
Does forward side irradiation help or hinder compared to trailing side? Lasers
up to 10 watts are affordable but must be monitored with a grandson's science
project. A 10 watt laser would possibly transfer 200 milliwatts through a bell
jar - which should be more than enough.

  If the mirror is placed on top of a number of magnet configurations, then we
have another possibility - does any kind of a magnetic field alignment help or
hinder rotation.

  There could be a lesson or two here wrt any spin system, even at nanoscale.