On Sun, Mar 23, 2014 at 7:12 AM, Teslaalset <robbiehobbiesh...@gmail.com>wrote:

Eric, on the little info I could find in public domain, I understand that
> ß+ decay happens within the nucleus.
> Are you saying that there are quite some exceptions?

Perhaps Robin or Bob can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the way
beta-plus decay works is that the unstable nucleus emits a positron during
the transition to the daughter.  The positron does something of a random
walk around the (extra-nuclear) environment until it encounters an
electron, at which point you get the annihilation and resulting 511 keV
photon pair (each going off in opposite directions).

Eric