Here's an example of how pathological the capital markets are:

These guys are, and have for some time been, sitting on a technology that
reverses neural damage, including both motor and cognitive deficits
(including age related cognitive decline -- which should be of interest in
an aging developed world where retirement is receding into the future for
many while jobs are more and more demanding of cognitive function), because
investors don't like patents that have been assigned to universities --
they want the inventor to be in a position where the inventor can't service
the patent fees and universities often have their own legal staff for this:

http://vimeo.com/89795497

Pay particular attention to the passage where he talks about all the
various kinds of neural damage they inflicted and all of them "reversible".

The graphs of time through water mazes show a decrease in time with degree
of treatment even for aged animals.

Also there is a pretty impressive video of rats where the brain damaged
rat, after treatment, actually outperforms the normal rat.  These changes
are persistent.