Hi,

I think I may have been wrong about the relative times. As an example I took 5 W
radiated by a 10 cm antenna, which I thought was pretty ordinary.

A wavelength of 10 cm corresponds to a photon energy of 1.24E-5 eV, so at a
power of 5 W, that is 4E-25 seconds / photon which is about 25 million times
faster than gamma emission.
However a good chunk of the improvement is consumed by the fact that many more
UV photons need to be emitted than gamma photons, because the energy is much
lower.

10 nm corresponds to a photon energy of 124 eV.

5 MeV / 124 eV ~= 4E4.

25 million / 40000 = 625.

So it looks like the 10 nm antenna wins by a factor of 625.

.... assuming of course that there is some form of strong coupling that allows
transfer of the nuclear energy to the electrons in the particle.

>Hi,
>[snip]
>>To frame the concept in an example, if the hydrogen crystal to be fused is
>>10 nm In diameter, the wavelength of the released energy would also be 10
>>nm.
>
>Obviously, a structure of that size would optimally transmit at that
>wavelength,
>however you would need a non-gamma based means of transferring the nuclear
>energy release to the structure over a period of time that would likely be
>large
>relative to the time that would normally be needed for a gamma to be released.
>IOW I'm guessing that the chances of such an event would be low relative to the
>chances of gamma release, and that it would thus be of little significance.
>
>I think the way to get a handle on this would be to calculate the power output
>of a 10 nm antenna, then see how long it would take to radiate say 5 MeV of
>energy (about average for a nuclear reaction involving a single proton), then
>compare the time thus determined to the roughly 1E-17 seconds that it takes to
>emit a gamma ray.
>
>Perhaps one of our resident EE's is up the challenge? ;)
>
>Regards,
>
>Robin van Spaandonk
>
>http://rvanspaa.freehostia.com/project.html
Regards,