I wrote:

The main challenge I've seen so far presented to the attempted explanation
> in the second type of reaction, where instead of the emission of a gamma we
> see photons and phonons result, is the question of why something similar
> wouldn't happen in a radioactive isotope in a metal.  I guess my question
> is how do we know that it doesn't happen there?  Perhaps the gammas that
> are emitted are ones that are from unstable isotopes that are not embedded
> within an electron rich environment.

There's a flaw in this reasoning.  In a large atom, which will rarely be
ionized beyond a small amount, the electrons will already provide an
electron rich environment in which a nuclear transition that will emit a
gamma photon will take place.  But perhaps there are other factors that are
significantly different between an unstable [pd]* resonance and a natural
gamma emitter.  Possibilities include the fact that the natural gamma
emitters appear to be much larger, e.g., 60+ nucleons, and the fact that an
unstable [pd]* is ionized.  Also, perhaps the tightly bound electrons
around a large gamma emitter do not provide as ready a sink for
electrostatic coupling as loosely bound electrons further out, where the
[pd]* would be.

Eric