Eric Walker <eric.wal...@gmail.com> wrote:

Why can't free energy companies be like other companies?  I feel that the
> amount of cloak and dagger and intrigue is overrepresented in this niche.

Yup. I think there are two main reasons:

1. No patent protection.
2. Strange, secretive people.

The field attracts strange people while it repels conventional people. That
is my impression, but that may be partly my bias. We expect strange people
in this field, so we take note of them. There might be just as many strange
people in other professions, but we do not look for them. We may not notice
them among CPAs, policemen, farmers or government bureaucrats. You did
notice them among old school programmers, who tended to be flamboyant.

In some groups, strange people hide their eccentricities while in other
groups they advertise them.

Old school professors used to emphasize odd behavior and strange clothing
choices. It was charming. See this scene from the movie IQ:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7stiKJsGjY

"He doesn't look like a scientist . . .

Now this is a tie, to hold up your pants."