On Fri, Sep 12, 2014 at 7:27 AM, Bob Cook <frobertc...@hotmail.com> wrote:

 It is not to hard to imagine 2 D's or 2 H's inside a face centered cubic
> metal matrix reacting at the same time with Ni or Pd nuclei of the same
> cell they share.

Just an opinion, but I find it even more unlikely that d's or p's would
arrange in a face centered cubic matrix than that there would be
simultaneous deuteron capture.

... described by a wave function none of us can calculate.

I get the sense as I read up on quantum mechanics that only a handful of
toy wavefunctions can be solved analytically, and that even when you can
solve for a system of wavefunctions numerically, this will only be useful
in relatively simple systems.  I get the distinct sense that QM is most
useful for post hoc explanations.  Perhaps this is a mistaken impression.

Eric