http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wave_function_collapse

Wave function collapse

In quantum mechanics <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_mechanics>, *wave
function collapse* is the phenomenon in which a wave function
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wave_function>—initially in a superposition
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_superposition> of several eigenstates
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eigenstates>—appears to reduce to a single
eigenstate (by "observation"). It is the essence of measurement in quantum
mechanics <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Measurement_in_quantum_mechanics>,

The wave functions of multiple nuclei initially combine into a tentative
 composite wave function in a state of superposition. It is like the sounds
of many instruments combining into the sound of an orchestra.  Decoherence
of the combined wave function makes the tunneling event and the release of
binding energy. This decoherence event with its associated  transfer of
binding energy over the strong EMF coupling is the exact point of cluster
fusion.

Note: eigenstates <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eigenstates> is the wave
function of the nucleus. (by "observation") means the transfer of binding
energy.