I believe the ends are completely sealed with a compound like the Vitcast
1400 INS-H.  I also think the space between the inner and radiating tube is
probably filled with this same compound.  You don't want air flowing in
there in case there are cracks in the alumina adhesive put over the heater
coils.  You don't want those coils exposed to O2 or they will fail
immediately when over 1000C.

I have done a detailed weight analysis of the assembly I posted, including
three coils of 30 turns each of 20 gauge Kanthal APM heater wire.  The
weight comes out about 15% below the measured weight of the Lugano tested
hotCat, but that could easily have been made up by using denser casting
compound filling the inside of the mounting cylinder "end caps".  Also, the
radiating tube, being a custom cast piece probably weighs a little more
than the stock extruded tube of approximately the same dimension.  I am
pretty sure this is all on the right track.

Of course, these mechanical details of the Lugano tested hotCat are the
least important.  Most important is what is used for active LENR powder
that is pre-sintered inside the central tube.  My opinion is that we
haven't seen any of this in the analysis of the starting material or the
ash.  The starting material (as I have posted) is likely just the
consumable portion (perhaps with some Ni for inert obfuscation) and what
shook out as ash was never the active material which is all sintered onto
the inside of the central tube.  Replication would certainly require a good
estimate of what this active media is on the inside of the central tube.

Bob