On Fri, Oct 17, 2014 at 10:41 AM, Bob Cook <frobertc...@hotmail.com> wrote:

Do you know if the experiments looked at excited spin energy states that
> may be  possible at higher spin quanta?

Unfortunately I don't have any other details and don't know of a particular
experiment to refer to.  Here is the quote from a textbook I recently
finished reading:

For nuclear physicists, the deuteron should be what the hydrogen atom is
for atomic physicists.  Just as the measured Balmer series of
electromagnetic transitions between the excited states of hydrogen led to
an understanding of the structure of hydrogen, so should the
electromagnetic transitions between the excited states of the deuteron lead
to an understanding of its structure.  Unfortunately, there are *no excited
states* of the deuteron—it is such a weakly bound system that the only
"excited states" are unbound systems consisting of a free proton and
neutron. [1]

Eric

[1] Kenneth S. Krane, *Introductory Nuclear Physics*, pp. 80-81; author's
emphasis.