Bob, consider the following sequence of maneuvers taken by the spaceship and
the guy within.  First, he decided to move in one direction for an extended
length of time.  Then he decides to return to his starting point by reversing
the drive.  After all of his mechanizations the final result is that he comes
to rest at the original location and at the original velocity in space.

All of this can be done at low velocities so that relativistic effects have an
insignificant contribution to the results.  As a matter of fact, the magnitude
of force so far generated according to reactionless drive proponents would
clearly fall into this category.   Under these conditions what would the guy on
the ship observe?

He has never been able to detect or measure any form of energy or mass actually
being exhausted by his ship since it is invisible to him.  He has effectively
moved nowhere as compared to his original velocity and position.  But, for some
strange reason the energy required to power the drive has vanished and he can
not find it onboard his ship nor in the exhaust which is by definition non
existent.

I can see no way to justify this result unless the mass of an object can vary
over time.  If you carry this process to the extreme the ship will simply loose
most of its mass with nothing to indicate where it went.  Keep in mind that a
normal type of spaceship drive does not suffer this consequence.  Even in the
case where the motion is reversed, all of the mass of the spaceship can be
accounted for.  The original mass has been redistributed about the local region
of space and contains kinetic energy due to its motion relative to the original
ship.

In one case the numbers add up, in the other case they do not.

Dave