Hmm well I dunno what you mean by "human editable" because I personally don't find XML very hard to edit.  But maybe I'm not human? ;)  People have been hand-coding HTML and XML for the best part of 10 years now without problems.

A major advantage is that if I open a XOD file in any decent text editor (vim, notepad2, visual studio etc) then I get full syntax highlighting all over.. open it in IE and you can see this too!  Agreeably, there are probably syntax highlighting for other formats (vim has so many!), but I doubt as many editors will support them.

Furthermore, if you create an XSD file to describe the config file schema, most decent XML editors will underline your mistakes as you type, autosuggest possible attributes, and fully validate the XML before you even use it in an application.

Maybe you have an issue with the actual format of the XOD file?  I personally do not like the way that the value is a child of the property element rather than being an attribute, e.g. I would prefer

  <property name="logfile" value="3dworld-blocks.log" />
  <property name="logfile">3dworld-blocks.log</property>

Anyway good work on providing an alternative configuration format to XOD as people always have their preferences!

Neil