Quick thought -

If the server has to track every animation that is currently playing,
it generates quite a lot of traffic, especially since the really cool
worlds usually require many many tiny animations.

However, I think a lot of these do not really have to be synchronized
among clients; I think it is generally overkill to sync every frame
of a rotating advertisement board.

So, IMHO, the server should establish a generic common time among
clients, sending out regular ticks for that only. Starting an
animation then is just a reference to this virtual time, maybe with a
speed factor etc., same as stopping it. It is up to the clients to
interpolate the animation, adjusting it based on the genenric virtual
time.

This approach is also much better from a semantics point of view.
There is a sense of "now" (well, at least "now-ish"), and an
indication that "[dog] starts [barking] [now]"... with proper
identifiers for [dog] and [barking], an agent can understand whats
going on.

Oh, btw... we are speaking of a "server" here, but VOS is still
conceptually P2P, even if in practice it degenerated to client-server
due to firewall issues. Time coordination among peers is nasty; I'd
suggest the site hosting the sector vobject should act as a time
coordinator (read "server" above) then.

Regards,
Karsten Otto (kao)