On Sun, Feb 11, 2007 at 08:40:13AM +0900, chris wrote:

> Hee hee! That's really what I aim to minimise with the floating origin!!
> I don't believe it is so manageable in a conventional origin-relative system.
> The spatial error that I talk about generally increases linearly with
> distance from origin so that is not such a big problem if you move the
> origin every now and then - like every 3 km in MS flight simulator.
> But there are a few situations where it can increase in powers of 2 -
> rare so you can discount them if you want (I don't, but that's me).

So if there is no absolute origin, how do you organize anything in the
space at all?  I'm confused.  You said that recentering everything is an
expensive operation, yet you seem to be proposing that you move the
center every frame???  Or are we talking about more than just a minor
tweak to the renderer, but actually building an entirely new "non
traditional" rendering loop directly in OpenGL?

If you're proposing a new whole new rendering method, my second question
is how does such a rendering approach influence the representaion?  For
VOS, we're mainly concerned with representation in a way that can be
stored in a database and sent over the nework, rather than the specifics
of how it is rendered.  Our assumption has been sector-based rendering
model, where there are lots of small sectors each with its own origin,
with portals connecting sectors together.  What you are proposing, if
its supposed to be origin-free(?), seems to require some representation
where objects are expressed relative to their neighbors, rather than
relative to the global coordinate system.  If that's the case, then how
do you manage sprites (avatars, etc) which are moving around constantly?

I think we've fallen down the rabbit hole.

[   Peter Amstutz  ][ [EMAIL PROTECTED] ][ [EMAIL PROTECTED] ]
[Lead Programmer][Interreality Project][Virtual Reality for the Internet]
[ VOS: Next Generation Internet Communication][ http://interreality.org ]
[ http://interreality.org/~tetron ][ pgpkey:  pgpkeys.mit.edu  18C21DF7 ]